Chagall was born in 1887 in the town of Vitebsk, Russia (now in Belarus). He attended a traditional Jewish school and a Russian high school, moving to St Petersburg in 1907, where he studied at the Imperial School for the Protection of the Fine Arts, and later at the Zvantseva School, led by Léon Bakst. In 1910, Chagall arrived in Paris, where he settled at La Ruche and met other Jewish artists including Modigliani, alongside key figures in French modernism including Guillaume Apollinaire and Robert Delaunay. Chagall's first solo exhibition took place at Der Sturm Gallery in Berlin, in 1914. That same year, he returned to Russia to visit his family. While he was there, the First World War broke out, preventing his return to Paris. Following the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917, Chagall was appointed Fine Arts Commissar for the province of Vitebsk, but in 1922 left again for Berlin, where his work was published by the periodical Der Sturm. He returned to Paris in 1923, where he stayed until 1940, becoming a French citizen in 1937. Chagall frequently used animals for symbolic purposes in his dream-like paintings that brought together aspects of French tradition with Russian folklore. Chagall sought refuge in New York during the Second World War, where a major retrospective of his work was held at The Museum of Modern Art in 1946. He stayed in America until 1948, then returned to France, settling in the south-eastern town of Saint-Paul-de-Vence in 1952. In later life, Chagall produced stained-glass schemes for churches, including the chapel at Tudeley, Kent. He died in Saint-Paul-de-Vence in 1985.
2 work/s by this artist from the collection are shown below. For a more detailed record and image please click on the link.