Janina Baranowska was born in Grodno, Poland in 1925. In 1940, following the occupation and division of Poland by the Nazis and Soviet Russia, she was arrested and deported to Russia. In 1942 she joined the so-called ‘Anders’ Army (comprising the Polish Armed Forces in the Soviet Union and many refugee civilians), and was evacuated in spring 1942, returning to Poland via the Middle East.
Following Baranowska’s arrival in London in 1946, as David Bomberg’s youngest (and she alleges, his favourite) pupil at Borough Polytechnic, she learned that form and composition should underpin all drawing and painting (Bomberg encouraged his students to turn their works upside down to free them from the constraints of reality). From the 1970s, her earlier expressionism gave way to lighter tones in a tighter format, with a strict geometrical grid often providing an underlying compositional framework. She also designed stained glass windows for Polish churches including St Andrew Bobola in Shepherd’s Bush, a centre for the London Polish catholic community, where General Anders funeral mass was held in May 1970.
Baranowska is a former Board member of the National Society of Painters and Sculptors and the Association of International Arts; Founding Secretary of the Association of Polish Artists in Great Britain (APA) and President (1981-1991); and Director of the POSK Gallery (1965-2007). Her work is held in the National Museum, Warsaw, the Museum of Art, Lodz, and the Archives of Emigration Artists at the University of Torun. She has held solo exhibitions at the Royal Festival Hall, Drian, Grabowski and Bloomsbury Galleries in London, as well as in her native Poland, France and the USA.
1 work/s by this artist from the collection are shown below. For a more detailed record and image please click on the link.